Salvage Vehicle Inspection Program
When a vehicle is branded salvage due to hail damage, motor vehicle crash, flood damage, etc., the State of Wisconsin requires that the owner of the vehicle have the vehicle inspected by a certified law enforcement inspector in order for it to be registered in the state. The Stanley Police Department is currently one of just 14 agencies statewide (the only one within Chippewa County) that has certified inspectors on staff and conducts these inspections. We currently have two officers that are certified inspectors through the Department of Motor Vehicles.
We provide inspection services throughout the year as the need arises. Please contact our office to schedule an inspection at (715) 644-5975.
If the Wisconsin title holder of a vehicle that is to be inspected is unable to be present at the time of the scheduled inspection, the "Agent Assignment" fields must be completed and signed (by the title holder) on the bottom of the Affidavit of Major Parts form. By doing so, it will allow for the specific designee to be present and sign all necessary paperwork on behalf of the title holder at the time of inspection.
There are several pre-requisites before we will inspect your salvaged motor vehicle. The following is a list of all items that must be present prior to a salvage vehicle being inspected by the Stanley Police Department. Please understand, each item must be as stated below or an inspection will not take place.
- Wisconsin salvage Certificate of Title in the owner's name or Confirmation of Ownership document. A Wisconsin Auto Dealer may present a Wisconsin Certificate of Title in the name of another person who has properly assigned the title to the applicant. (Must have a Wisconsin Title in order to schedule an inspection)
- Competed MV-1 (non-dealers) or MV-11 (dealers) form; fee section can be left blank as it will be completed by the inspector. (Note: The state does offer a "fast title service" for all customers at an additional cost of $4.00. Generally speaking, this feature allows for your title to be processed and mailed back to you within approximately ten (10) business day from the date of inspection.)
- Completed Affidavit of Major Parts Form (MV2673). Please include ONLY part types that are listed under the "part type" on the form or any other part (not already provided on the list) that exceeds $500 in value.
- Four (4) legible pictures of the salvage vehicle taken prior to any repair or restoration, clearly showing the damage to the vehicle. There shall be one (1) straight-on picture, each of the front, back, driver's side and passenger's side for a total of four (4) pictures.
- Proof of air bag system diagnostic check as well as proof that a 4-wheel vehicle alignment has been conducted (DOT form MV2859). If these services were deemed unnecessary due to the nature of the vehicle damage, you will need to complete this form. If an alignment and/or air bag diagnostic were required as part of the vehicle repairs, you WILL NOT complete this form but would instead be required to provide proof via receipt or other means of these services having been completed by a certified mechanic.
- Two (2) checks for payment: one for inspection and/or title and registration fees and a second for our site fee (fee amounts will be calculated and provided at the time of inspection). Note: previously scheduled appointments that result in a no-call / no-show on behalf of the customer, will result in an additional $25 fee if another inspection date is ultimately scheduled with this department.
- *The original bill(s) of sale / receipt(s) received by the applicant for each major part of the vehicle that has been replaced containing a description of the transaction including:
- The name of the major part.
- The model year, make and identification number of the vehicle from which the major part(s) was/were obtained.
- The date of the transaction.
- The signature of the person selling or disposing of the major part.
- The name of the customer.
- The amount paid for the major part.
If all of the following are not made available to the inspector at the time that the inspection is to commence, please understand that the inspector will refuse to conduct the inspection. We have provided access to the appropriate inspection forms above. Please utilize the forms provided above as links to ensure your inspection process is completely quickly and efficiently.